By Kelsi Swetland, 2018 Dietetic Intern – Sodexo Distance Program: Pediatric Concentration
Quiche is an easy dish to put together and can be customized to meet your preferences or dietary needs. Although typically made with a pastry crust, this recipe substitutes sweet potatoes for a heart-healthy crust. Heart-healthy foods are low in added sugar, salt, and saturated fats, but high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Throw any type of vegetable, cheese and protein into your quiche or follow the recipe below for a heart-healthy recipe! Serve with a side of fruit, yogurt or mixed greens.
HEART HEALTHY QUICHE
Makes 6 servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 cup asparagus
- 1 cup onion
- ½ cup smoked salmon
- ¼ – ½ cup feta
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare crust by grating sweet potatoes until you have 2 cups.
- Add olive oil to sweet potatoes and mix.
- Press sweet potato mixture into pie pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- While crust is baking, chop onion, asparagus and salmon into small pieces.
- Whisk together eggs and milk.
- Place smoked salmon in pie crust, and continue to layer on onion and asparagus.
- Pour egg mixture into crust to top ingredients.
- Sprinkle feta into quiche mixture.
- Store quiche in freezer, fridge or pop into the oven for 40-50 minutes (quiche is set when a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the middle of the quiche).
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
For 1 serving: 147 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 11 g protein, 12 g carbs, 4 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 199 mg sodium