By Kaela Pittman, 2018 Dietetic Intern – University of Minnesota: The Emily Program
You won’t be able to slide by this recipe! This is one of my favorite quick and easy week night recipes that takes only half an hour to prepare and cook (with minimal mess!). I also make this when my family comes to visit as yummy pizzas please guests of any age.
By using lean ground turkey instead of high fat beef and “turkeyroni” instead of pepperoni, you can enjoy these pizza sliders without worrying about consuming too much saturated fat. This recipe is packed with protein to leave you satisfied throughout your day or evening. Plus, using whole wheat buns gives these sliders a little extra fiber to help you reach nutritional goals for the day. Enjoy this fun recipe with your family!
SUPER PIZZA SLIDERS
- 8 whole wheat burger buns
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- ½ cup pepperoni or “turkeyroni”
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place bottom half of each bun on a greased baking sheet.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add and heat olive oil, then add chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- Add ground turkey to skillet, season with Italian seasoning and salt or pepper if desired. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat, and then add pizza sauce. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the ground turkey mixture over the bottom buns then sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella over the meat, across all eight sliders.
- Place the top bun halves on each slider, then brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning, Mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Top each slider with three or four “turkeyronis.”
- Bake until cheese has melted and buns are toasted, 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan before serving. Enjoy!
For 1 serving: 335 calories, 10 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 29 g protein, 28 g carbs, 7 g sugar, 594 mg sodium