By Head Program Chef Blake Wangelin
At the June 2018 Pop-Up Dinner, attendees raved about Chef Blake’s balsamic braised short ribs—and he’s glad to share the recipe!
CHEF BLAKE’S BALSAMIC BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- 8 boneless short ribs, 6 oz. each
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 carrot, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 cups celery, rough chopped
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 1 cup red wine (preferably cheap and dry)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- Preheat oven at 300 degrees.
- Rub short ribs with salt, pepper and oil.
- Grill or pan sear short ribs until they have nice crust on all sides
- In a deep baking dish or dutch oven, put the short ribs in a single layer and pour the rest of the ingredients over the top.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 2 hours or until they are fork tender and falling apart.
- Take short ribs out and strain the sauce in the pan.
- Serve with a side of choice (farro is my personal favorite) and spoon sauce over the top.
To make the sauce thicker, blend all the veg with the sauce in a blender and then strain through a thin strainer, if available.