By: Mackenzie Schiltz, 2018 Dietetic Intern -University of Minnesota, TEP
Stay healthy on the go with these no bake energy balls that are packed with nutrients! Energy bites are one of my all time favorite recipes because they are easy-to-make, grab-and-go snacks, and the ingredients can be switched up for a variety of flavors. Feel free to experiment with your own favorite fruits, nut butters and spices. This specific recipe only requires seven ingredients and takes about 10 minutes to make.
These energy bites have a base of heart healthy oats in addition to healthy fats, natural sweeteners and a couple of superfood berries sprinkled throughout. You will be surprised with how these bites satisfy your sweet tooth, but without the sugar crash afterward. Plus, with the addition of ground flaxseed, you are getting extra fiber to support healthy digestion.
Energy bites are a nutritious snack for when you are on the go, after or before exercise or for an after dinner treat!
SUPERFOOD ENERGY BITES
Serves: 12 Energy Bites
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup almond or peanut butter
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp. raisins and/or cranberries
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Combine the dates, almond or peanut butter and maple syrup in a food processor or blender, and pulse until the dates are fully chopped and everything is combined (if you do not have a blender or food processor, chop dates very fine and combine with almond/peanut butter and maple syrup).
- In a bowl, mix together flax seed, cinnamon and dried fruit. Add the date and nut butter mixture to the bowl and stir until fully combined.
- Roll the mixture evenly into ball shapes (should make 12).
For 1 Energy Bite: 120 calories, 1.5 g fat (1.3g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 4g protein, 10.5g carbohydrate,4g sugar (1.5g added sugar), 2g fiber and 40mg sodium.