The sun’s out and its perfect weather for a Father’s Day barbecue! This dish features a significant amount of protein per serving. Protein is an important component of every cell in our body. Eating adequate amounts can improve body composition, eliminate hunger, and reduce body fat. The bell peppers provide more than just color and crunch to this dish. These vibrant vegetables are a low calorie source of valuable nutrients. Peppers are an excellent source of vitamin A, essential to healthy eyesight. A cup of chopped peppers provides more than 100 percent of the daily value of the antioxidant vitamin C, which supports tissue health and immunity. Peppers also provide folate, which supports the functioning of red blood cells. And are also sources of vitamin K, essential to the clotting function of blood. All colors of bell pepper are high sources of potassium. This mineral helps keep your fluids and minerals balanced in your body, enhancing muscle function and regulating blood pressure.
Grilled Marinated Steak Kabobs
Source: Simply Scratch
(~ 6 servings)
2 lbs Sirloin Steak, cut into bite size cubes
1 Red, Orange and Green Bell Pepper, cut into chunks
1 large Red Onion, cut into cubes
4 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Low-sodium Seasoning Salt (Try LAWRY’S® Seasoned Salt with 25% less sodium)
3/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2-1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup Lite Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Metal Skewers or skewers that have been soaking in water for 30-45 minutes
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- In a large bowl combine the garlic, seasoning, black pepper, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, lite soy sauce and whisk while pouring in the olive oil.
- Place the peppers, onions and cubed sirloin into the marinade. Toss to coat and let sit for a few. (Tip: Use a 1 gallon zip-lock bag to toss and marinade).
- Skewer the steak and peppers alternating with the red onion until all the steak is skewered.
- On a preheated grill, place the skewers down and immediately reduce the temperature to medium/medium-high. Cook, turning occasionally, until there’s a nice char on the outside.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!
Per serving: 491 calories, 26 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 48 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 6 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 818 mg sodium.
YIELD: 6+ servings. PREP TIME: 25 minutes. COOK TIME: 10-12 ish. TOTAL TIME: 35-45 minutes