Photo source: https://www.skinnytaste.com/no-bean-turkey-and-sweet-potato-chili/
By: Ashley Herman, 2019 Dietetic Intern – University of Minnesota
This quick and easy Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili is a hot meal to enjoy all year round. This recipe looks at cooking the chili on a stove top but it can also be prepared in a pressure cooker with a cook time of just 15 minutes. This recipe makes approximately 5 servings and can be fortified with black beans, greens chilies, cilantro for garnish, and sour cream topping if the cook so chooses. The vegetables cooked into the dish as well as the opportunities for garnish, create a vibrant and visually appealing dish. The dish contains sweet potatoes and tomatoes, food high in fiber, Vitamin C, and antioxidants. The turkey also provides an excellent source of heart healthy protein.
Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste
Makes 5 servings
1 serving = 1 cup
- 20 oz 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- Kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup green chilies
- 15 oz can black beans
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Sour cream as topping
Stove Top Directions:
- Brown the turkey is a large skillet, breaking it up into smaller pieces.
- When the turkey is browned and cooked through, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Next add the can of tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, bay leaf, and optional green chilies and black beans to the skillet.
- Cover the chili and let it simmer over medium-low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- Add an additional 1/4 cup of water if the mixture appears too thick. Finally, remove the bay leaf and serve with cilantro for garnish or sour cream if desired.
- Yield: 5 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving – Calories: 235 calories, Total fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 81 mg, Sodium 578 mg, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 4 g, Protein: 23 g