Minnesota is famous for its 10,000 lakes, long winters, and Caribou Coffee shops on every block, but one thing that we are not particularly known for is an abundance of warm climate, locally grown fruit available year-round. Eating locally can be a challenge when the winter hits and our fields are frozen under a blanket of snow. This is why I cherish our apple season! We are so fortunate to have an abundance of crisp, refreshing apples filling our autumn trees and finding ways to incorporate these apples into meals and snacks is always been a fun way to experiment in the kitchen.
I love finding new ways to eat apples and this is one of my all-time favorite fall recipes. This dish makes a great side dish, snack, or post meal treat. Why does an apple a day keep the doctor away? Apples are loaded with antioxidants, flavonoids and fiber and they also provide quick energy. The cream cheese and Greek yogurt coating offers a rich source of calcium, protein and probiotics, and the pecans are filled with healthy fat that will keep your stomach feeling full for hours. This delightful spoonful of nutrients creates the prefect balanced bite and will help keep your body energized!
Cinnamon Apple and Walnut Fruit Salad
Recipe makes 12 servings
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 lbs. chilled, sweet apples (Honeycrisp, Jazz, Gala, Pink Lady, etc)
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Whip together the cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg using an electric hand mixer on high speed until fluffy. Mix in Greek yogurt and vanilla until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
- Dice apples in 1/4 -1/2” pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Add cold water and fresh lemon juice, toss to coat apples in the liquid. Let sit for about 1-2 minutes (this will prevent the apples from turning brown), drain, and transfer apples to a serving bowl.
- Once in the serving bowl, toss diced apples with cream cheese mixture, walnuts, and cranberries, and enjoy!
Nutrition info: For 1 serving (1 cup)- 240 calories; 35 g carbohydrates (8 g added sugar); 10 g total fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 80 mg sodium; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber.