By Hannah Johnson – 2018 Dietetic Intern (Iowa State)
Using watermelon in salads is a unique way to enjoy this healthy fruit during the summer months. Plus, watermelon isn’t only delicious, it’s good for you, too! The salad recipe below includes watermelon, bulgur, arugula, grape tomatoes and chopped mint, so you’ll get a dose of fruit, whole-grains and veggies all at once. Enjoy!
WATERMELON AND BULGUR SALAD
Recipe from www.watermelon.org
For the salad
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 2 cups cooked bulgur wheat
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- *Optional* varied amount of shaved pecorino romano cheese
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Combine the watermelon, bulgur wheat, arugula, grape tomatoes and chopped mint in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a liquid measuring cup until well combined.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Top with shaved pecorino and season to taste. Serve immediately.
For 1 Serving: 420 calories, 28 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate (6 g fiber), 0 g added sugars, 6 g protein