By Kelsey Johnson, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview Dietetic Intern
There is nothing better than coming out of the cold and into a warm house that is filled with the comforting aroma of cinnamon mixed with apples and sweet potatoes.
Not only are baked sweet potatoes the perfect snack or compliment to a delicious meal, they are also packed with nutrients! The rich orange sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, which is essential for vision. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of vitamin C and disease-fighting antioxidants.
This dish is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth, while providing some great nutritional benefits. Baked sweet potatoes and apples are the perfect fiber-filled, sweet snack to take the chill out of any cold day.
Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium sweet apples (such as Gala), peeled, each sliced into 10 wedges
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 1 1/2 –quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
- In the casserole dish, layer in order half each of the sweet potatoes, apples, and cinnamon-sugar. Dot with about half the butter. Repeat.
- Bake covered for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes and apples are soft.