Happy National Nutrition Month! During the month of March, Open Arms will be sharing some of our favorite dishes from a few of our popular menus. To compliment these delicious recipes, we are also sharing a bit of information about the in-and-outs of our menus, starting with our Heart Healthy Menu!
This menu is planned for clients focused on improving their heart health. It’s focused on nutrient-dense, high fiber fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. This menu is also lower in salt and uses heart healthy cooking oils such as olive oil. The heart healthy menu also includes lean protein sources like chicken and fish, and a vegetarian entrée once a week.
This week, we’re highlighting one of our favorite heart healthy vegetarian entrées: parsnip curry! It’s full of a variety of vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and warm spices. Packed with plant-protein power, this recipe is sure to please!
By Open Arms of Minnesota’s Team of Chef’s and Registered Dietitians
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
For the Curry:
* 3 cups Parsnips, peeled and sliced
* 1 cup Cauliflower florets
* ½ cup Carrots, peeled and sliced
* 1 teaspoon Canola oil
* ¼ cup Onion, yellow, diced
* ¼ tsp Coriander, ground
* ¼ tsp Turmeric, ground
* ¼ tsp Cinnamon, ground
* ¼ tsp Clove, ground
* ¼ tsp Salt
* 1 cup Coconut milk
* ¼ cup Cranberries, dried (Craisins)
On the Side:
* Serve with ½ cup of cooked brown rice and 1 cup of edamame.
1. In a large pot, sauté vegetables in the canola oil until partially cooked.
2. Add the seasonings and sauté for a few more seconds (this allows the oils from the spices to become more fragrant).
3. Add the coconut milk and craisins and bring to a simmer so the sauce thickens slightly. Serve over rice with a side of edamame or soy beans for extra protein.
Calories: 290, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Carbohydrates: 42 g, Protein: 16 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sodium: 220 mg
(Includes curry, brown rice, and edamame)
By Rachel Jambois, Registered and Licensed Dietitian, OAM Nutrition Specialist