Headed to the Minnesota State Fair? From seeing newborn animals at the Miracle of Birth Center to riding roller coasters at the Mighty Midway, it’s a fun and one-of-a-kind way to celebrate Minnesota.
Many of us also attend for another reason: the food. All things fried, battered and on a stick reign supreme at the State Fair and we love to indulge. While we shouldn’t eat a cone of Sweet Martha cookies every single day, one day out of the year won’t hurt!
While you’re chowing down on french fries and mini doughnuts, take a look at this list to incorporate some healthy tips into your day at the fair:
- Don’t drink your calories. State fairs are notorious for having high sugar beverages like lemonade, smoothies, milkshakes, soda, slushies and more. Opt for water instead throughout the day to avoid the sugar crash and keep hydrated in the summer heat.
- Go easy on the condiments. Condiments like ketchup and mayonnaise can be high in sugar and don’t add much nutritional value to your plate. Opt for relish, pickles or salsa as better options.
- Sharing is caring! Can’t resist the temptation to try the latest and greatest at the Great Minnesota Get-Together? No problem! Practice portion control and share with a buddy.
- Sit down to eat. It can be easy to eat food while looking for food. Stop, sit and enjoy your meal. Be mindful of what you’re putting in your mouth and savor what you eat. You can reduce the temptation to graze your way through the fair this way.
- Let your indulgence be for the day. So you went to the fair and ate more than you were planning on that day? That’s okay! Just let your overeating be limited to that day. No need to carry on unhealthy eating habits for the rest of the week or month. Each meal is a new chance to create a healthy plate.