By: Scott Hoang, 2019 Diet Tech Intern – Normandale Community College
This whole wheat banana bread is a sweet treat turned into a heart healthy snack with less than 5 grams of total fat and 0 mg of cholesterol per serving. Compared to traditional banana bread, this banana bread replaces butter with apple sauce to decrease the fat content and switches white flour to whole wheat flour to increase the fiber content. With the addition of chocolate chips, you will never notice the difference! This whole wheat banana bread goes great in the morning with coffee or a snack in between meals.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Recipe adapted from simply recipes
Photo credit: Veganbaking.net on flickr
Makes 8 slices
- 3 over ripened banana
- ¼ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F and lightly grease an 8-9 inch bread pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix in dry ingredients together: whole wheat flour, sugar, baking-soda, and salt.
- Take the dry ingredients and slowly incorporate it with the wet ingredients.
- Mixed all ingredients together just until combined.
- Add semisweet chocolate and fold evenly.
- Add banana bread batter and smooth out the batter into an even layer.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick or fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan before transferring the bread to a cooling rack and slicing.
For 1 serving: 210 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 250 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein, 0 mg cholesterol