Weekly Recipe: Avocado and Egg Breakfast Tostadas
By Maddie Glazos, 2018 Dietetic Intern – University of Minnesota Fairview
Start your day with a breakfast full of healthy fats and protein! These savory tostadas will give you the perfect balance of protein, fat and carbohydrate to fuel your day. Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, full of antioxidants, vitamin C, magnesium and vitamin B6. This breakfast contains a great combination of other veggies as well, which are packed with additional vitamins and minerals to help protect the body against heart disease, cancer and lower LDL cholesterol levels.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- ½ cup of red onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted and then mashed with fork or sliced)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Line the tortillas on the baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook the tortillas for 6-7 minutes on each side until crispy.
- While the tortillas are cooking, dice red bell pepper, red onion, and tomato. Set each aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Cook red bell pepper and red onion for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and cook for 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and egg whites in a separate bowl until mixture is consistent.
- Wipe down the saucepan and lightly spray the pan with cooking spray. Cook egg mixture over medium high heat until eggs are scrambled making sure to consistently stir.
- Slice or mash avocado and spread over tortillas. Top with eggs and vegetable mixture.
- Spread the mashed (or sliced) avocado over tortillas and top with eggs and vegetable mixture. Top tortillas with cilantro and jalapeno peppers if desired.
For 1 Serving: 226 calories, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 227 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein, 96 mg cholesterol