Weekly Recipe: Avocado and Egg Breakfast Tostadas
By Maddie Glazos, 2018 Dietetic Intern – University of Minnesota Fairview
Start your day with a breakfast full of healthy fats and protein! These savory tostadas will give you the perfect balance of protein, fat and carbohydrate to fuel your day. Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, full of antioxidants, vitamin C, magnesium and vitamin B6. This breakfast contains a great combination of other veggies as well, which are packed with additional vitamins and minerals to help protect the body against heart disease, cancer and lower LDL cholesterol levels.
Recipe adapted from American Heart Association
Makes 4 servings
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- ½ cup of red onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted and then mashed with fork or sliced)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Line the tortillas on the baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook the tortillas for 6-7 minutes on each side until crispy.
- While the tortillas are cooking, dice red bell pepper, red onion, and tomato. Set each aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Cook red bell pepper and red onion for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and cook for 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and egg whites in a separate bowl until mixture is consistent.
- Wipe down the saucepan and lightly spray the pan with cooking spray. Cook egg mixture over medium high heat until eggs are scrambled making sure to consistently stir.
- Slice or mash avocado and spread over tortillas. Top with eggs and vegetable mixture.
- Spread the mashed (or sliced) avocado over tortillas and top with eggs and vegetable mixture. Top tortillas with cilantro and jalapeno peppers if desired.
For 1 Serving: 226 calories, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 227 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein, 96 mg cholesterol