Turkey burgers are a great go-to meal for something comforting and healthy. Ground turkey is a great alternative to ground beef as it is lower in fat and cholesterol, making it a heart healthy option. Ground turkey also has micronutrients of Phosphorus, Zinc, Vitamin B6, Niacin, and Selenium!
Makes 8 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 8 mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ cup Feta cheese crumbles
- 1 egg, scrambled
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic in half of the oil. Once the mixture has softened and the onions are almost clear, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooled vegetable mixture with the remaining ingredients: feta, raw turkey meat, scramble raw egg, and spices.
- Preheat the oven to 425⁰F. While the oven is preheating, form the mixture into hamburger patties.
- Now it’s time to brown the patties. Use the remaining oil to coat your sauce pan under medium heat. Brown both sides of your patties, about 2 minutes on each side. Then transfer the partially cooked patties onto a foiled baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 12 minutes, or until there is no longer pink in the middle.
- Serve on a hamburger bun with your favorite condiments and veggies!
For 1 serving: 140 calories, 7.8 g fat, 2.2 g saturated fat, 141 mg sodium, 4.3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13.6 g protein, 67 mg cholesterol