By: Ellie Schmidt, 2019 Dietetic Intern – Iowa State University
Refreshing and healthy summer salads are an excellent way to celebrate warm weather! This quinoa salad combines whole grains, healthy fats, and vegetables to create a wholesome and satisfying dish. This is an extremely easy recipe that can be shared with family and friends on a summer evening.
Quinoa is high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and several antioxidants. It is an easy way to increase the overall balance of a salad and make it more filling. Try this Quinoa Salad or add it to your own recipe!
Recipe adapted from bonappetit
Photo Credit: Stacy Spensley
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup raw pistachios
- 1 cup green beans and/or wax beans
- ½ cup sugar snap peas
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh tender herbs (such as parsley, chives, basil, tarragon, and dill)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small or 1 large head of broccoli, florets chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cups pea shoots (tendrils)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (from about ⅓ raw)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place hulled pistachios in the oven and toast for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions, set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the sugar snap peas and green beans for about 2 minutes until tender, but still crunchy. Drain the vegetables and place in an ice bath until the beans have chilled, about 3 minutes. Once chilled, drain from the cold water and slice into 1/2” pieces.
- In a food processor, blend herbs of choice, olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and 2 tablespoons of pistachios until smooth. Add water as needed if the dressing is too thick. Season dressing with salt and pepper if desired.
- In a large salad bowl, place beans, peas, broccoli, quinoa, pea shoots, and toasted pistachios. Drizzle with homemade dressing and toss until well combined. Enjoy!
For 1 serving: 350 calories, 26 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein