By Sharifa Simon, Dietetic Intern [Normandale Community College]
Corn on the cob is a beloved summer staple in Minnesota. Whether it’s from the fair or cooked at home, we can’t get enough!
But corn doesn’t have to be a plain ordeal. It can be more than a salted, buttered cob or a pile of kernels on your plate. Here are some creative and delicious ways to reinvent your corn consumption this summer.
10 Ways to Use Corn This Summer
- Add grilled corn to salads to add a smoky, sweet pop of flavor.
- Corn makes a great addition to tacos and burrito bowls.
- In Mexico, grilled corn on the cob is called elote. It’s often dressed in ingredients like cotija or parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, lime juice and sometimes sprinkled with chili or cayenne powder, such as in this recipe.
- Make a fresh corn salad with summer favorites such as avocado and tomato.
- Too hot for soup? Try this recipe for sweet corn gazpacho, which is a refreshing way to enjoy corn when you’re trying to cool down.
- Bake some cornbread, which is an easy finger food for picnics and cookouts. It’s a flexible dish that can be made sweet or savory, to tailor to your family’s taste buds!
- Try roasted corn salsa, which is a great dip for whole-grain tortilla chips or as a side dish for grilled hamburgers or kebabs.
- Sauté up some corn with a small amount of oil and additional veggies, such as green chilies and onions, for a flavorful side dish.
- Add corn kernels to guacamole for extra crunch!
- Last but not least – bacon-wrapped corn. If you haven’t tried this, you’re missing out! All you have to do is wrap bacon around a cob of corn before grilling. You can also combine bacon pieces with corn kernels and chopped avocado for a yummy side dish.