This week’s recipe comes from Jason, a member of the Open Farms CSA! This simple recipe turns loads of cucumbers into tasty pickles on the double. But make sure you eat them quickly, too – unlike canned versions, these pickles will keep for about four or five days.
- 3 medium or 2 large cucumbers
- Small onion (optional)
- White Vinegar
- Herbs (such as dill, thyme, pepper, etc.)
- Peel and slice cucumbers and optional onion. Thin is better!
- Place cucumber slices in a bowl, cover with water and combine with 3 or 4 tablespoons of salt. Place in fridge overnight.
- The next day, rinse saltwater off of cucumbers slices.
- Place cucumber slices in a bowl and cover with 50% water, 50% white vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and spices (dill, thyme, pepper, etc.).
- Soak overnight.
- Enjoy the next day!
- If the mix turns out too tart, add additional sugar.
- Variations of vinegars and spices can be fun.