By Teresa Klarenbeek, Dietetic Intern [Minneapolis VA Heath Care System]
Summer weather is here, so it’s time to heat up the grill! This grilled stuffed mushroom recipe is a great addition to the typical rotation of burgers and brats.
This recipe makes for a great appetizer or hors d’oeuvre, as well as a vegetarian entrée or side with your favorite protein. You can use feta or parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella to mix it up. Get your serving of vegetables along with with a little protein!
Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 large or 6 small portobello mushrooms
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 oz. of low fat mozzarella
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove stalks from mushrooms and place upside down on a baking tray.
- In a large bowl, combine rest of ingredients and mix together well.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps evenly.
- Place mushrooms in oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees
- Once cooked through, grill until cheese browns.
- Cook on tinfoil for easy transfer from oven to grill.
- If monitoring your sodium intake, choose low sodium soy sauce or halve the amount.
Per serving: 80 calories, 4 grams of fat (1.6 grams from saturated fat), 3 grams total carbohydrate, 1 gram of sugar, 1 gram of fiber, and 4.5 g of protein