By Haley Snell, Dietetic Intern [University of Minnesota – The Emily Program]
I’m going to preface this week’s recipe with a poem:
As winter arrives and the cold turns you numb,
nothing thaws you better than the thought of hot food to come.
In this arctic air, I know you crave meals hearty and hot.
Why not try this beef stew dish? It’s perfect for the whole lot!
This tender, melt-in-your-mouth stew recipe is packed with iron, potassium, and vitamins A and C. It is a great protein source and has a variety of colorful vegetables essential for a balanced diet.
Hearty Beef Stew
Makes about 8 servings
- Olive oil
- 2 – 2½ lbs. boneless beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 lb. mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½” thick pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth or beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ lb. small potatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ lb. sweet potatoes, cut into 1” cubes
- Place beef in a large mixing bowl and season with ½ tbsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper. Sprinkle beef with ¼ cup flour and toss to combine and evenly coat beef. Transfer beef in batches into a pan with hot oil and cook over medium/high heat, until beef is browned (3-4 minutes per side). Add more olive oil if needed. Cook beef in two batches to make sure it sears properly. Transfer browned beef back to the bowl.
- Add wine to an oven-safe pot and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pot. Add sliced mushrooms and simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes. Add the beef to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add sliced carrots, diced onion and chopped garlic cloves, and sauté for 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and sauté another minute. Transfer veggies to the soup pot.
- Add beef broth, bay leaves, thyme, 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil.
- Add all potatoes, making sure they are submerged in liquid then cover and transfer to a 325˚F oven for 1 hour and 45 min. Beef will be very tender. Serve and enjoy!
Per serving: 385 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 996 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein