by Teresa Klarenbeek, Dietetic Intern [Minneapolis VA Heath Care System]
Chicken breasts are great…until you overcook them. Have you ever found yourself either choking one down with lots of water or adding so much sauce that you just made your healthy meat contain 15 grams of sugar?
How about a way to turn your overcooked chicken into something healthy and delicious? This chicken salad recipe might just change the way you feel about dry chicken, thanks to creaminess provided by avocado and Greek yogurt.
This recipe is loaded with protein and healthy fats, which will help you feel fuller longer. Spread it on whole grain bread or put in a wrap or pita and call it a meal!
Avocado & Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- 1 ripe avocado, removed from skin
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken, finely chopped or shredded
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries or halved grapes
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 small lime
- In a medium bowl, mash together avocado and Greek yogurt until smooth.
- Stir in garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, red onion, cranberries, celery and almonds to mixture and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Squeeze in half the juice of the lime. Give it a taste and squeeze the rest of the lime if needed.
- Sever in wrap or pita, or on bread.
Per serving: 243 calories, 12.7 grams of fat (3.2 grams saturated fat), 207 mg sodium, 452 mg of potassium, 7.5 g carbohydrate, 3.7 g fiber, 25.2 grams of protein.