By Lauren Arneson, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview Dietetic Intern
It’s that time of year again and whether you’re embracing the kids’ summer vacation, learning to adjust to the hot sunny days, or trying to squeeze in more outdoor activity before the Minnesota weather eventually takes its toll, it’s safe to say, you could probably use a little energy. I remember coming home from high school track practice– popping a few of these into my mouth would hold me over until dinner was ready. Small, sweet, and satisfying, they were the perfect combination for an afternoon pick-me-up!
Each of these little guys offer about 150-200 calories (depending how big you make them) and contain honey, a source of natural sugar. Full of heart healthy fats, they contain a good source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, and polyunsaturated fats (provided by the flaxseed and nut butter). Pumped full of protein, they will leave you feeling satisfied and content, and desiring another!
Peanut-Free No-Bake Energy Bites
Adapted from: Smashed Peas and Carrots
(Makes 18-20 bites)
- 1 cup instant oats
- ½ cup sunbutter (any nut butter will do)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix all ingredients listed above in a medium bowl until evenly incorporated
- Chill in refrigerator for at least ½ hour before forming into balls
- Roll into balls and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, keep refrigerated. Keep for no longer than 1 week!