By Eman Kemp, Open Arms of Minnesota Registered Dietitian
Enjoy the fresh taste of summer with these delicious zucchini fries! The zucchini’s delicate flavor is enhanced with a sprinkling of parmesan and a dash of seasonal summer herbs.
Why zucchini instead of a regular potato for fries? Zucchinis are a good source of vitamin C, providing more than 50 percent of your daily vitamin C needs in just one zucchini! This summer vegetable also contains pectin fiber, which has been linked to improved heart health and a natural reduction in cholesterol. Since zucchinis are easily digested, they can also help with digestive health. Add this easy side to your dinner plate tonight!
PARMESAN ZUCCHINI FRIES
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Makes 4 servings
- 4 medium yellow or green zucchinis, quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, dried basil, garlic powder, dried thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cut zucchini on large baking sheet. Drizzle zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle on Parmesan and herb mixture.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately.
For 1 Serving: 122 calories, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 259 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 3 g protein, 5 mg cholesterol