By Rebecca Kapsen, Dietetic Intern [Priority Nutrition Care]
Meatballs and the incredible smell of Italian seasonings bring such feelings of warmth and comfort – even when they aren’t made with meat!
Chickpeas are great ingredients to use when making vegetarian “meatballs.” Not only do they contain muscle-strengthening protein for our bodies, chickpeas also prevent the “meatballs” from being too dry and crumbly. Try them on top of pasta, in a sandwich or by themselves!
Vegetarian Chickpea “Meatballs”
Adapted from Stone Soup
Makes 18 “meatballs”
- One 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (can use regular or panko if desired)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients except for the egg in a food processor.
- Add the egg to the mixture and pulse until blended thoroughly.
- Form small meatballs, around 1 inch in diameter, and place on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes for even browning.
For one “meatball”: 50 calories; 1 g total fat; 3 g protein; 9 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber