For our 300th recipe, we’re throwing it back to the very first one we shared on our blog: an award-winning chili recipe from our 2011 Toast event, where we celebrated our fantastic volunteer community with a chili cook-off!
With its balance of sweetness and spice, this tasty vegetarian chili is sure to be a hit at your dinner table.
Chilly Willy Chili
- 1 lb. tempeh
- 2-3 tbsp. ancho chile powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 2 pints of beer (Lagunita’s Copper Ale or another nice beer with malty sweetness)
- 15 oz. black beans
- 15 oz. adzuki beans
- Bay leaves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1-2 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup masa harina (or flour)
- 1 tbsp. chipotle chile powder
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 qt. diced and/or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
One day ahead:
- Marinate crumbled tempeh overnight in 1 tbsp. of the ancho chile powder, 2 tsp. of the cumin and 1 pint of beer.
- Cook black beans and adzuki beans with bay leaves the day before (or used canned beans).
Day of meal:
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add crumbled marinated tempeh and 2 tbsp. butter. Cook, stirring often, until tempeh is browned (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté onions, red bell pepper, garlic and crushed red pepper in butter. In a small bowl, combine masa harina (or flour), chipotle chile powder, cocoa, and the rest of the ancho chile powder and cumin with enough liquid to form a paste. When the onion sauté is soft, add 2-3 tbsp. of the chili paste. Stir to combine well.
- Add black beans, adzuki beans and tempeh. Sauté for 5 min, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and the other pint of beer (or stock of your choice) to desired thickness.
- Let chili stew for 30 min. before adding honey and cinnamon. Add chili paste to strengthen spiciness. Add cilantro just before serving.
- Whole Grain Milling Company yellow corn chips
- Sharp cheddar from the Caves of Faribault
- Several dollops of sour cream mixed with avocado, lime and cumin