By Elizabeth Akerson, Dietetic Intern [University of Minnesota]
Who doesn’t love pudding, especially when it’s pudding with a nutritional boost?! This recipe has the same creamy texture of regular pudding with some extra omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, minerals and protein from the chia seeds.
Chia seeds are great for making pudding because they absorb water, which results in a ‘pudding like’ consistency when they are mixed with milk.
Chia pudding can be made vegan and dairy-free by using almond milk instead of cow’s milk. It makes for a quick breakfast or midnight snack!
Peanut Butter & Honey Chia Pudding
Adapted from Peanut Butter & Co.
- 3 tbsp. peanut butter
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 3 ¼ cups milk or almond milk
- ¾ cup chia seeds
- Fresh fruit, nuts or flaked coconut for topping (optional)
- Whisk the peanut butter and honey together in a medium glass bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Once the ingredients are well-combined, stir in the chia seeds and whisk together.
- Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Cover and place in the fridge for an hour. Garnish with fruit, nuts or coconut if desired and serve!
Per serving: 240 calories, 12 g total fat (2.5 g saturated fat), 10 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 95 mg sodium