By Caitlin Miller, Dietetic Intern [University of Minnesota – MNT track]
We all know there are so many tempting appetizers at football parties, like the classic hot wings, championship chili bowls and loaded game-day nachos.
But did you know that apples can make a delicious and healthy appetizer for football parties, all while boosting our health? This sweet take on “nachos” is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
It’s no surprise that apples are healthy for us, but what is surprising is just how many health benefits they have. The saying goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Apples are a good source of fiber, promote weight loss and heart health, and are rich in antioxidants.
- 3 medium sized apples, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ cup nut butter, melted (try all-natural peanut butter without added sugar)
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 3 tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp. pecans
- 3 tbsp. raisins
- Coconut flakes
- Core and thinly slice the apples. Lay the apples on top of a platter. To keep the apples from browning too fast, lightly spritz the apples with lemon juice.
- Mix together the peanut butter and honey in a separate bowl and microwave for 15 to 20 seconds, until soft and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle peanut butter and honey mixture over the apple slices.
- Add your toppings: chocolate chips, slivered almonds, pecans, raisins and/or coconut flakes. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Per Serving: 197 calories, 12 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber; 41 mg sodium.