by Tylynn Ludwig, Dietetic Intern [Minneapolis Veteran Affairs Medical Center]
What is always the first dish to disappear at the party or gathering? Well, if it is anything like events I go to, guacamole is the answer. Because guacamole makes a delicious appetizer, it is easy to overindulge in it. This recipe was developed to reduce calories without sacrificing taste.
The main ingredient in guacamole is avocados, which are a source of heart-healthy fats. This recipe also features nonfat Greek yogurt for an extra boost of protein to help you feel full.
Greek Yogurt Guacamole
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Ground black pepper and salt
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a food processor and add the yogurt, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve with pita chips, chopped carrots, peppers, zucchini or jicama sticks.
- Place a few tablespoons atop a burrito or taco.
- Enjoy the same day to avoid discoloration.
Per serving: 106 calories, 7 g carb, 5 g pro, 7.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 g cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 0 g added sugar, 57.5 mg sodium