by Ryan Weiler, Dietetic Intern [University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview]
I love making chicken salad, especially during the summer months. The key to a good chicken salad is a nice crunch to compliment the tender chicken, and something sweet to compliment the mayonnaise, like apples, grapes or raisins. This recipe is great served in a whole wheat tortilla.
Chicken Salad with Apples, Grapes, & Walnuts
(Yields 12 servings)
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 granny smith apples, cut into small chunks
- 1 cups chopped walnuts, or to taste
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- 5 tbsp. creamy salad dressing
- 5 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 24 seedless grapes, halved
- Toss shredded chicken, apple chunks, walnuts, red onion, celery, and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- Whisk vanilla yogurt, salad dressing, and mayonnaise together in a separate bowl; pour over the chicken mixture and stir to coat. Gently fold the grapes into the salad.
Per serving: 307 calories, 23 gm total fat, 11 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fiber, 17 gm protein, and 128 mg sodium.