by Pilar Chilet, Dietetic Intern [University of Minnesota Medical Center – Fairview]
This simple, easy-to-follow recipe provides a dessert with sweetness plus protein. Every time I cook this recipe, family and friends are fascinated by this dessert!
(Serves: about 12)
- 4 ¼ cups milk
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe container for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and sugar to milk. Beat until sugar has dissolved.
- In another bowl, beat eggs. Add the milk mixture, whisking gently.
- Pour the custard into an oven-proof dish.
- Place dish into larger oven-proof container. Pour water in the outer container until halfway up the first dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes. If your oven has the broil feature, broil on low for 2 minutes until top of custard gets brownish.
Per serving: 148 calories, 4.8g total fat, 20g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 5.8g protein.