by Gwenda Hill, Open Arms Nutrition Specialist
One of the best things about our beautiful building is that we are able to welcome people into our space for various events. As a celebration of National Nutrition Month®, we hosted a client cooking and nutrition class on March 13.
I began the class by introducing the principles of MyPlate to begin the class, and then the participants went in to the kitchen with Chef Asei. In addition to walking them through several Asian cuisine dishes, he taught the clients tips and tricks for safely and easily cooking different foods.
The clients had a wonderful experience, and the staff loved it, too. Because this dish was such a hit with the clients, we want to share it with you! The end result is an amazing mixture of taste and texture that you are sure to love. Pair this with a basic, short-grained rice to make “sticky rice,” and you’ll have a hit for dinner.
Sticky Rice Bowl with Caramelized Chicken and Vegetables
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp. oyster flavor sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, julienned
- 1 cup peanuts, almonds, or cashews (optional)
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 bunch green onion, cut into 1″ baton
- 1 red pepper, juliennes
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin (optional)
- 6 cups sticky rice, cooked
- 6 eggs, poached, fried, or scrambled
Directions for chicken:
- Mix chili sauce, water, oyster sauce, sugar, and lime juice and set aside.
- Put vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear chicken on both sides, about 2 minutes each. Remove chicken and let cool.
- Slice or dice chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Heat pan and add garlic, onion, and chicken pieces.
- Add sauce mix and bring to a boil. Allow to thicken for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add nuts (optional).
Directions for assembly:
- Prepare garnish: put prepared carrot, green onion, red pepper, and jalapeño on a plate or bowl.
- Put sticky rice in a small bowl with a little cold water (to release the rice).
- Flip rice onto a plate or in a bowl as a “dome” of rice.
- Allow guests to put chicken and vegetable garnish on top as desired.
- Place egg on very top.