by Leah Hetterick, Dietetic Intern [Sodexo]
Whenever I’m invited to a football watching party, I rely on this crowd-pleasing recipe. While most people bring dishes full of fat, sodium, and refined grains, I love to offer this healthier alternative. And these flavorful baked taquitos tend to disappear in a flash!
Honey and Lime Chicken Taquitos
Adapted from the blog Six Sisters’ Stuff
(Makes 24–30 taquitos)
- 6 tbsp. honey
- 5 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 12-15 wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together honey, lime juice, chili powder, and garlic powder. Add shredded chicken to the mixing bowl and let it marinate in the fridge for at least a ½ hour, but preferable a half day or so.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the wheat tortillas in half, making two half circles.
- Spread chicken mixture and diced veggies evenly along the longer side of the half wheat tortillas, top with cheese, and roll up tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with nonstick cooking spray (or brush with oil). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown.
Per taquito: 105 calories, 15g carbohydrate, 9g protein, 1g fiber, 1 g fat, 213 mg sodium, 14mg cholesterol.