By Amanda Chicoine, Minneapolis VA Dietetic Intern
I’m always on the lookout for a creamy pasta recipe without the fat and calories of an alfredo-based creamy pasta. This recipe allows you to enjoy a similar texture and taste but is much lower in fat and calories because it uses non-fat yogurt instead of alfredo sauce. Inspired from the Middle East, this yummy recipe will leave you and your taste buds satisfied.
Because of its Middle Eastern background, this recipe is not only delicious but also healthy. The whole-wheat pasta, asparagus, red bell pepper, and peas are packed with vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber. The shrimp are low in saturated fat and provide iron, niacin, phosphorus, zinc, protein, Vitamin B12 and selenium; however, shrimp do contain quite a bit of cholesterol, so watching your portion size is important.
Try this recipe on a weeknight – you will love the simplicity and taste!
Creamy Garlic Pasta with Shrimp and Vegetables
Adapted from www.eatingwell.com
- 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook 2 minutes less than package directions. Add shrimp, asparagus, bell pepper, peas, and mushrooms and cook until the pasta is tender and the shrimp is cooked, 2 to 4 minutes more. Drain well
- Mash garlic and salt in a large bowl until a paste forms. Whisk in yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, oil, and pepper. Add the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts (if using).
385 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 168 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 10 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 887 mg potassium.