By Summer Vondran, University of Minnesota Dietetic Intern
I don’t know of anything better than peanut butter, chocolate, and bananas. This recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins incorporates all of these delicious foods into one power-packed muffin. In addition to the added crunch, the peanuts and peanut butter give these muffins protein to get your morning started out right or give you an extra push in the afternoon. The added flax provides your body omega-3 fatty acid to help protect your heart.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
(Makes about 12 muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until blended.
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into muffin tins lined with paper liners or coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1 tablespoon peanut butter in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over muffins.