By Samantha Iovino, University of Minnesota – The Emily Program Dietetic Intern
One of my favorite parts about going home during the holidays is visiting New York City. It’s only a 40 minute drive away from where my family lives in New Jersey and I always try to make a trip in at least once during my time home. The city is transformed into a winter wonderland during the holidays. Buildings are adorned with lights, mini Christmas tree markets pop up on the streets, and carolers are on every corner.
It’s also the one time of year when I actually look forward to the smells of the city. The air is crisp and full of roasted chestnuts and honey roasted nuts! After ice skating in Central Park, I love to visit one of the famous nut stands for a bag of honey roasted almonds. They are sweet, toasty, crunchy, and warm! Plus, they are great for your heart, thanks to their monounsaturated fat content, and they are rich in fiber, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
If you ever find yourself in NYC for the holidays, I highly suggest trying those roasted nuts. In the meantime, here is my adaptation for you to make yourself. Enjoy and happy holidays!
Honey-Maple Roasted Nuts
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp. real maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lb. mixed nuts
- 2-3 tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl or pot, combine honey, maple syrup, and butter. Microwave or heat on stove top until butter is melted.
- Add salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to mixture and stir.
- Place nuts in a large bowl, pour the honey-maple mixture over them, and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread nuts on lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven, toss again using a spatula, and place back in oven for 6 more minutes.
- Remove and pour into a new bowl. Toss with 2-3 tbsp. sugar (enough to coat the nuts).
- Let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Once nuts are completely cooled, serve in your favorite serving bowl and enjoy!