by Gwenda Hill, Open Arms Registered Dietitian
I discovered this recipe back when I was in college when I needed a dish for a pot luck party. During those years, anything fresh or healthy was a luxury, so everyone loved it. Today it is still one of my favorites– and BONUS– little kids love it too! It can be used as an appetizer, snack or dessert. The fresh fruit is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants, which always makes your body smile!
Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips
1- 16oz carton of strawberries
1- 8oz carton of raspberries
2 apples, peeled and cored
1 mango, peeled
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Cooking spray or melted butter
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1. Dice all fruit into little pieces. Mix together in a bowl.
2. Whisk the sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Pour over fruit and stir.
3. Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
4. Stir before serving.
Cinnamon Chip Directions:
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Mix sugar and cinnamon together.
7. Coat each tortilla with cooking spray or melted butter.
8. Sprinkle desired amount of the cinnamon sugar mixture on each tortilla.
9. Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges. Place on baking sheet in a single layer.
10. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
Serve the chilled salsa and cinnamon chips together. If you don’t have time to make the cinnamon chips, use graham crackers or cinnamon pita chips instead. The real feature here is the fruit!