This unique bread from Chef Rita is sure to be a hit at your New Year’s Day brunch. Far from your typical pumpkin or banana bread, this loaf combines the savory goodness of corn, bacon, scallions, and cheese for a hearty treat that will help you start 2015 off right.
Chef Rita’s Savory Bacon-Scallion Breakfast Bread
(Makes one 9″ x 13″ loaf)
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.) creamed corn
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and minced
- 1/2 cup green chilies, minced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Blend in creamed corn, scallions, cheese, bacon, and chilies.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean.