- In a large stew pot, heat the oil, then add the onions and cook gently for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook gently, stirring frequently for one minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, eggplant and 2 1/2 cups of the stock to the pan and stir well. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until the lentils are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, bring rice and remaining stock to boil, adding green beans, cauliflower and mushrooms. Simmer for 15 minutes, until rice and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and cashews to the lentil mixture, mix lightly and pile onto a warm serving platter. Garnish with egg and cilantro sprigs — and serve hot.
Potluck Recipe #22: Lentil Veggie Biryani
More from Open Arms
Leah Hebert Welles Joins Quinn Villagomez On Fresh Fruit Radio Show Open Arms CEO Leah Hebert Welles joined Quinn Villagomez, host of the radio show “Fresh Fruit” on KFAI 90.3 Thursday, Nov. 2 for a conversation about the exciting events taking place at Open