This exciting and unique full-time, salaried Manager of Events position contributes to the fulfillment of Open Arms’ mission by creating, implementing, and managing all on- and off-site events designed to further the organization’s mission. In collaboration with the Development Director, the Manager of Events works both internally and externally to expand and manage OAM’s presence in the community through unique and highly intentional events designed to engage diverse audiences in the mission of OAM. This position offers the opportunity to collaborate with our team of talented chefs, bakers, and dedicated volunteers to create one-of-a-kind events, including catering experiences through space rentals and off-site event facilitation. As with all OAM staff positions, this position is responsible for helping ensure volunteers and all stakeholders have an exemplary experience during all interactions with Open Arms and is expected to maintain the highest level of customer service to all guests, clients, and fellow team members.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Develop and manage annual calendar and plan for all OAM special events, onsite catering, and third-party events.
- Evaluate all current events and develop creative ways to create sustainability while building upon their success.
- Oversee and manage the Open Arms’ signature and one-of-a-kind fundraising gala, Moveable Feast, working with outside contractors on all logistics including creating the vision, designing, implementing, and managing the event budget, overseeing event logistics, and recruitment of restaurant partners.
- Supervise event interns, temporary event support staff, event committees, etc.
- Manage all organizational events to achieve established event goals, including revenue generation, donor activation, community engagement, and earned income.
- Lead post-analysis of fundraising and volunteer engagement/appreciation events to measure success.
- Work collaboratively with the Communications Team to guide the development of event communication plans, design elements, social media, and other promotional opportunities for OAM events.
- Work in connection with the Development Director for Individual Giving and Director of Development for Institutional Giving to ensure a strong Open Arms branded experience throughout all on-site and digital aspects of OAM’s various peer-to-peer fundraising events.
- In connection with Volunteer Engagement Department, create and implement annual volunteer appreciation and other special volunteers’ “events”.
- Serve as primary point person for all catering requests and catering-related earned revenue, including pop-up dinners.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally with OAM staff to execute all onsite catering and space rental by managing set-up, take-down, and all event logistics.
- Support the Volunteer Engagement Team in training a diverse group of volunteers to represent OAM at all external events.
- Facilitate planning meetings with kitchen and facilities teams to orchestrate logistics and ensure the team is fully prepared to implement each event.
- Support development team members in the execution of sponsorship opportunities, wrap-around fundraising activities, and internal projects when needed.
- Assist the team in recruitment, retention, and recognition of donors and volunteers.
- Lead promotion of seasonal product sales and delivery/distribution.
- Greet, tour, and orient visitors to the building when needed.
- As a member of the Development team, ensure Open Arms provides an outstanding experience for all donors and volunteers by seeking out meaningful and regular positive interactions, and always maintaining a friendly and helpful attitude.
- Support the mission, values, and brand of Open Arms of Minnesota.
- Assist other department staff with special events, speaking opportunities, and community activities when requested to do so.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three or more years of relevant, creative success in creating, managing, and implementing special events, with at least two years in non-profit fundraising events.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and ease of communicating with supervisors and leadership as well as colleagues and volunteers.
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Experience with large catering a plus
- Experience building relationships with and managing volunteers.
- Experience developing and implementing event communication plans.
- Extremely detail-oriented, with well-developed organizational skills.
- Ability to collaborate with appropriate development team members to contact and support the engagement of prospective funders.
- Ability to think strategically, creatively, and proactively.
- Ability to creatively problem-solve.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
- Ability to create and contribute to a positive team environment.
- Ability to provide friendly, excellent collaborative service to internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects and priorities at the same time.
- Ability to adhere to attendance and punctuality requirements, to meet time-sensitive deadlines, client, and business needs.
- Flexibility to work in two different worksites and offsite locations.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends and sometimes regular evenings and weekends around event time.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and ability to work respectfully with a wide array of co-workers and members of the community.
- An enthusiastic passion for the mission and values of Open Arms of Minnesota.
- Able to operate standard office equipment (such as telephone, computer, printer, and copy machine).
- Able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to talk and hear, and to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Ability to review and reply to documents and information on a computer screen as well as to use a computer and a variety of software programs.
October 3, 2022
Minneapolis, St. Paul
Director of Development for Institutional Giving
This position is eligible for an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/life/ STD/LTD insurance, paid Holidays and personal time off (PTO), retirement plan with an employer match program. An employee-paid vision plan is also available.
Open Arms of Minnesota is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, disability, or socioeconomic status. We encourage all individuals with direct or transferable experience to apply for our open positions.
Open Arms of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.