By Nicole Beyer, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview Dietetic Intern on rotation with Open Arms
Growing up, my parents never had to tell me to eat my vegetables; vegetables were, and still are, some of my favorite foods. My all-time favorite vegetable is cauliflower. I love the crunch and the distinct flavor that it has when it’s served raw, but I especially love it when it’s roasted. In the fall and winter months it’s great to have a warm vegetable to add to your meal. Below is a quick and easy recipe that works well as a side dish for any meal. This recipe combines the distinct flavor of cauliflower with a pop of heat from red pepper flakes. The added cheese gives it an exceptionally rich flavor.
Cauliflower provides ample amounts of many nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, vitamin B6, and potassium. The anti-inflammatory effects of some of the nutrients found in cauliflower are great for heart health and can help lower your risk of cancer. Cauliflower is also high in fiber, which is great for digestive health and helps keep you full.
Adapted from: www.simplyrecipes.com
1 head of Cauliflower – cut into florets
Lemon Juice from half a lemon
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
¼ cup Parmesan Cheese – grated
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
3. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
4. Spread the cauliflower evenly on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the cauliflower is golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.