Senior Nonprofit Accountant
Open Arms is looking for an experienced nonprofit accountant to join our team. This
individual will maintain the General Ledger, processing all transactions, and ensuring all
the financial operating and reporting needs of the organization are met. Duties include
Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, journal entries, grant accounting, assisting with
budgets, managing the audit, completing monthly and year-end closing procedures, and
assisting in the preparation of financial audit and 990 materials. As with all OAM staff
positions, this position is responsible for helping ensure volunteers and interns have an
exemplary experience during all interactions with Open Arms and is expected to
consistently maintain a high level of customer service to all clients, volunteers, and fellow
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Verify, enter, print, and mail checks/make online payments for all payables.
- Complete scanned deposits, take deposits to the bank when necessary.
- Manage, track, replenish and distribute petty cash.
- Complete month-end close procedures and all journal entries.
- Assist in preparation for the annual audit and 990.
- Comply, communicate, and enforce established internal control practices, advise, and implement new procedures as needed.
- Work collaboratively with Development staff to accurately record contributions and pledges and reconcile any outstanding issues quickly.
- Prepare daily/weekly deposits and maintain accurate cash receipts journal entries.
- Maintain and update fixed asset and depreciation schedules.
- Assist in reporting financial information to staff, management and other stakeholders as needed.
- Assist budget managers in accessing accounting software dashboards and related questions.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for general ledger accounts.
- Compile, complete and distribute 1099s.
- Verify completeness, accuracy, and coding of all vouchers, check requests, and employee expense reports.
- Coordinate record retention.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and maintaining professional networks.
- Act as an ambassador of Open Arms in the community.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with a minimum of two years of nonprofit accounting experience or associate degree in accounting with a minimum of five years of nonprofit accounting experience.
- Experience with fund accounting software.
- Intermediate skills in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to accurately apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of internal control procedures to safeguard assets.
- Exceptional customer service skills with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities to ensure completion of work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Detail oriented with high standards of performance, great organizational skills and ability to adapt quickly to the changing needs of the organization.
- Ability to utilize sound judgment when working with secure information and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to create and update procedures.
- Ability to adhere to attendance and punctuality requirements.
- Ability and flexibility to work during hours of operations, including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to work on-site.
- Sensitive and committed to diversity. Demonstrate cultural competence in the workplace and respectfully interact with all employees, program participants, vendors, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- A passion for the mission and values of Open Arms.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Able to operate standard office equipment (such as telephone, computer, printer, and copy machine).
- Able to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to talk and hear, and to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Ability to review and reply to documents and information on computer screens as well as to use a computer and variety of software programs.
October 5, 2022
Minneapolis, St. Paul
Email: [email protected]
Mail: 2500 Bloomington Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55404
This position is eligible for an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/life/ STD/LTD insurance, paid Holidays, and personal time off (PTO), retirement plan with an employer match program. An employee-paid vision plan is also available.
Open Arms of Minnesota is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, disability, or socioeconomic status. We encourage all individuals with direct or transferable experience to apply for our open positions.
Open Arms of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.