This is a 40-hour-per-week, benefits-eligible position in a high-volume production kitchen preparing and packaging ready-to-eat meals. Working as part of a team at Open Arms of Minnesota, Production Manager is a responsible leader acting as a role model to the entire staff. The Production Manager is responsible for food preparation, kitchen safety and sanitization, overall kitchen cleanliness, and organization. In the absence of the Food Services Manager, the Production Manager will oversee the daily production, ensuring efficiency and volunteer engagement through proper distribution of tasks. As with all OAM staff positions, this position is responsible for helping ensure volunteers and interns have an exemplary experience during all interactions with Open Arms and is expected to consistently maintain a high level of customer service to all guests, clients and fellow team members.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Expectations for Production Manager
A role model for staff and responsible for conforming to a high standard for work performance, ethics, integrity, collaboration, positive respectful communication, and problem-solving. The Production Manager not only effectively manages his/her/their own responsibilities but also works collaboratively with others to improve systems and operations to provide better services to our client. The Production Manager must communicate effectively with peers and leadership of the organization to promote success. The Production Manager will also foster a team centered work environment.
- Responsible for all aspects of daily food preparation and packaging in a large production kitchen, ensure correct amount and type of meals are ready for delivery to clients on a daily basis.
- Provides direct supervision to Chefs.
- Work with Food Services Manager to appropriately organize prep lists, production schedule and distribute work to Chefs.
- In collaboration with the Food Services Manager, purchase food and non-food supplies according to production needs, specifications and budget.
- Communicate and organize packing priorities to Packaging Associate and Logistics & Delivery Associate.
- In the absence of the Food Services Manager, communicate with Food Services Director on issues that require management attention.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of new menus and recipes.
- Under the direction of the Food Services Manager, create written documentation for new recipe development and current recipe changes for product packaging labels.
- Ensure all menu items are produced using approved recipes and are created with high quality ingredients. Periodically measures food quality by tasting recipe components.
- Maintains food quality, safety, and presentation standards through the use of portion control and appropriate cooking, cooling and storage and packing procedures.
- Ensure proper procedure and documentation is followed in producing pureed or mechanically ground meals.
- Ensure accurate labeling of all items produced in the kitchen, including sub-ingredients, allergens, product dating, etc., seeking guidance or clarification as needed from the Food Services Manager.
- Ensure that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout kitchen, following safe food handling guidelines and all applicable state and local food safety regulations.
- Maintain cooler and freezer logs.
- Train new staff and provide ongoing guidance to the team.
- Support the Food Services Manager with ongoing training and procedural changes with volunteers and staff.
- Identifies and makes recommendations to Food Services Manager regarding menu revisions, production modifications, packaging and hours of operation.
- Demonstrate high level of customer service and professional behavior within the kitchen.
- Help to identify and resolve ongoing issues with production or waste.
- Assists in preparing for and catering in-house special events, such as Pop-Up dinners, Thanksgiving, Moveable Feast, Cook-a-thon, Toast, and other events
- Provide positive experience to volunteers and other guests in the kitchen, interacting regularly with staff, volunteers, and the public while modeling the highest level of customer service by maintaining a positive, friendly and helpful attitude at all times, and representing Open Arms with integrity.
- Direct upbeat and positive organized interactions with volunteers in the kitchen, including large groups.
- Use computer as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Staffing Expectations for all Managers/Supervisors
Managers and Supervisors are role models for all staff and volunteers and are responsible for conforming to a high standard for work performance, ethics, integrity, collaboration, positive respective communication and problem-solving. Open Arms is a dynamic, high change environment which demands that Managers and Supervisors not only effectively manage their own department, but also work collaboratively with other departments and employees to constantly improve systems and operations. The Food Services Manager will perform the following functions of staff management as it relates to kitchen operations:
- Provides direct supervision to Chefs.
- Ensures proper staffing in kitchen by scheduling staff members based on production needs.
- Fosters a team-centered work environment and provides mentorship to staff.
- Interacts positively with Food Services Manager, coworkers, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Identifies and makes recommendations to Food Services Manager regarding staffing needs.
- Leads a collaborative interview process for filling vacancies in the kitchen.
- Provides effective training and ongoing performance coaching to ensure that each team member is meeting the expectation of their position and are recognized for their achievements.
- Champions OAM mission and gets Team’s buy-in on organizational changes that might impact the day-to-day Kitchen operations.
- Ensure kitchen staff are active participants in communications of the broader organization such as monthly All Staff meetings, weekly Staff News, and emails.
- With the support of HR, provides disciplinary action when necessary and work within OAM guidelines on when to seek assistance of HR or senior management on employee or volunteer relations issues.
- Ensures high level of customer service and professional behavior by the kitchen staff.
- Provides an outstanding environment and experience for all volunteers by
- Setting an example to other kitchen staff by consistently providing high quality customer service and modeling positive conflict resolution.
- Regularly seeking out meaningful and positive interactions with volunteers.
- Ensuring volunteers have access to tasks and projects.
- Working with the Volunteer Engagement Team to be prepared for volunteer arrival and departures.
- Meeting regularly with Director of Volunteer Engagement to discuss on-going volunteer needs in the kitchen and resolve volunteer-related issues.
- At least 5 years of culinary experience in a high volume, large production kitchen.
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in an institutional kitchen with special medical diets a plus.
- ServSafe certified.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Great organizational skills and ability to adapt quickly to the changing needs of the business.
- A demonstrated commitment and understanding of high customer service
- Ability to be energizing and contribute to a positive team environment.
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude and cheerful demeanor in stressful situations.
- Ability to multi-task and keep composure while working under pressure during busy periods.
- The drive and ability to learn new techniques and skills.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team and across departments.
- High work ethic and demonstrated reliability.
- Ability to work in two different sites as needed.
- Requires availability during hours of operations, including weeknights or weekends.
- Ability to adhere to attendance and punctuality requirements, to meet time-sensitive client and business needs.
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and ability to work respectfully with wide array of co-workers and members of the community.
- A passion for the mission and values of Open Arms.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Able to frequently lift and carry food, beverage and other items greater than 35 pounds, stand for long periods of time, and able to transport up to 70 pounds.
- Able to stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop and twist. Requires full range of motion, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires corrected vision, full color vision, sense of smell and taste, and hearing to normal range.
- Able to operate a variety of kitchen appliances, tools and utensils, and to operate office equipment and software programs.
- Able to operate standard office equipment such as telephone, computer, printer and copy machine.
October 13, 2022
Minneapolis, St. Paul
Food Services Manager
This position is eligible for an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/life/ STD/LTD insurance, paid Holidays, and personal time off (PTO), retirement plan with an employer match program. An employee-paid vision plan is also available. Open Arms of Minnesota is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, disability, or socioeconomic status. We encourage all individuals with direct or transferable experience to apply for our open positions.
Open Arms of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.