Food Services Worker
This is an hourly full-time and benefits-eligible position in a high-volume production kitchen. Under the direction of the Food Services Manager, the Food Services Worker will set up the packing line and gather all components necessary to complete the packaging of meals, while ensuring the quality and consistency of our meals as they move through the packaging process (the packaging of meals is mainly completed by volunteers). The Food Services Worker must maintain a clean and sanitary work environment and ensure that volunteers are doing the same. As with all OAM staff positions, this position is responsible for helping ensure volunteers and interns have an exemplary experience during all interactions with Open Arms and is expected to consistently maintain a high level of customer service to all guests, clients, and fellow team members.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Act as a role model for all staff and volunteers by displaying a high standard for work performance, ethics, integrity, collaboration, positive and respectful communication, and problem-solving.
- Act as a liaison between the Kitchen Team and the Volunteer Engagement Team to ensure a positive and productive volunteer experience.
- The Food Services Worker must communicate effectively with peers, the Food Services Manager and the Lead Chef to promote success in achieving the production needs.
- The Food Services Worker will foster a team-centered work environment.
- Arrive at work on time.
- Communicate with the Food Services Manager and Lead Chef to streamline the packing schedule for the day.
- Effectively communicate the shift plan to volunteers.
- Ensure volunteers are using consistent and correct portion sizes.
- Ensure accurate packing of meals and that all completed meals are properly labeled.
- Work with a Registered Dietitian during meal audits to achieve zero packing errors.
- Completes tasks/projects in a timely manner and communicates status to coworkers.
- Consistently maintains a positive outlook and approach to work.
- Track inventory and communicate to the Production Manager/Lead Production Cook when there are shortages and/or overages.
- Clean and perform general maintenance on the Oliver packaging machines.
- Follow all sanitation guidelines.
- Believe in the mission of Open Arms of Minnesota and advocate on behalf of Open Arms.
- Keep the kitchen area clean and organized at all times, assisting with deliveries and often carrying 50 pounds or more.
- Use all chemicals properly in the correct quantities for safety and cost control.
- Maintain a work environment that is safe, respectful, and productive for everyone.
- Empty trash in the kitchen; clean and maintain trash cans.
- Clean and maintain all mats or rugs.
- Assist in the maintenance, cleanliness, and stocking of kitchen storage areas.
- Work as a team player and step in when needed.
- Demonstrate a high level of customer service and professional behavior within the kitchen.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Experience in high-volume commercial kitchen environment (institutional, hospital or nursing home kitchen experience is a plus).
- A demonstrated commitment and understanding of high customer service.
- Strong communication and human relation skills, with a positive attitude and friendly demeanor with clients, volunteers, and the general public.
- Ability to work successfully both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Great organizational skills and ability to adapt quickly to the changing needs of the business.
- Ability to work proactively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with volunteers and provide them with direction in a positive manner.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- High work ethic and demonstrated reliability
- Flexible schedule with ability to work occasional weeknights or weekends.
- Ability to work on two different sites.
- Ability to adhere to attendance and punctuality requirements, to meet time sensitive client and business needs.
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and ability to work respectfully with wide array of co-workers and members of the community.
- A passion for the mission and values of Open Arms.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Able to frequently lift and carry food, beverage, and other items greater than 35 pounds, stand for long periods of time, and able to transport up to 70 pounds.
- Able to stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop, and twist. Requires full range of motion, manual dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Requires corrected vision, full color vision, sense of smell and taste, and hearing to normal range.
- Able to operate a variety of kitchen appliances, tools, and utensils, and to operate office equipment and software programs
September 8, 2022
Food Services Manager
$19.00 per hour
This position is eligible for an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/life/ STD/LTD insurance, paid Holidays and personal time off (PTO), retirement plan with an employer match program. An employee-paid vision plan is also available. Open Arms of Minnesota is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, disability, or socioeconomic status. We encourage all individuals with direct or transferable experience to apply for our open positions.
Open Arms of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.