Open Farms Internship
The Open Farms Intern will work side by side with the Open Farms Manager and the farm team to complete many tasks over the course of the growing season. Internship activities may include, but are not limited to, bed preparation, seedling production and transplanting, direct seeding, vegetable production, weeding/cultivation, harvesting, and post-harvest handling which includes washing, packing, and distribution. Whenever possible, time will also be allotted to facilitate projects related to the intern’s specific area of interest.
A commitment of 10-15 hours a week for 2-4 months is required. This is an unpaid internship and reports directly to the Open Farms Manager.
- Urban Farm Locations
- 2645 14th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- 508 Morgan Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55405
- 668 Victoria Street S, Saint Paul, MN 55103
- 860 Otto Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55103
- Peri-Urban Farm Locations:
- 2167 Oakgreen Ave, Afton, MN 55001
- Open Arms Headquarters:
- 2500 Bloomington Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- Passion for the mission of Open Arms.
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and ability to work respectfully with wide array of members of the community.
- Strong communication skills and outstanding ability to maintain and foster relationships to ensure success working with a diverse base of volunteers.
- Ability to be part of a team and to maintain effective communication with other interns and staff members.
- Flexibility to work weekday mornings and afternoons as well as occasional evenings and some Saturdays.
- Interest in organic farming, gardening, food justice and local food systems.
- Previous farm experience preferred.
- Must have a positive attitude, an ability to receive constructive criticism and a strong work ethic.
- Comfortable working alone at times and be able to follow both written and verbal directions.
- Able to identify basic vegetable plants and differentiate from basic weeds.
- Must have excellent attention to detail.
- Must be reliable, responsible, and hard working.
- Must be willing and comfortable working with large groups.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and ability to work respectfully with wide array of staff members, volunteers, and other members of the community.
- Experience using various garden tools including but not limited to garden shovels, soil rakes, hoes, broadforks, pitchforks, trowels, etc.
- Amenable to getting dirty, sweaty and wet; interns will be working in all types of weather
- Ability to navigate steps on uneven ground.
- Able to work on feet for long periods of time.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Able to stand, crouch, lean, sit, walk, bend, stoop and twist. Requires full range of motion, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
Minneapolis, St. Paul
Open Farms Manager